John & Brittany

John & Brittany

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Gospels

For the past month, I've spent my time nursing a right knee after a major ACL surgery. God has used it to re-focus my energy on my New Testament class through Southern Seminary (SBTS) and I can't imagine a time when I more needed to focus specifically on the life and teaching of Christ.

I have spent the past four weeks studying one of the Gospel accounts each week...Mark, Matthew, Luke, and now John. For one, reading through the Gospels consecutively has opened my mind to the importance of all the Gospel accounts, and how the Holy Spirit inspired each writer to record specific details and aspects of His life. It is an glorious thing that God determined before time for us to have the New Testament 2,000 years later to spell out the Gospel in its entirety?! Every word was divinely inspired and every detail carried through, commanded by the Father and obeyed by the Son.

"Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in His name."
John 20:30-31

"For the Son of Man came to seek and to save the lost."
Luke 19:10

The Gospel has been made clear to us, but yet it must be revealed to us by the Holy Spirit. This was true of the disciples and it is true of us. There are seven "I am" statements made by Jesus in John's Gospel that completely spell out the deity and purpose of Christ while He was on earth. I am the bread of life (6:35). I am the light of the world (9:5). I am the door (10:7). I am the good shepherd (10:11). I am the resurrection and the life (11:25). I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life (14:6). I am the vine (15:5). From this, I am learning that Christ is all that I need. He alone is my sustainment and my joy. Eternal happiness does not depend on my ability to be independent of others, or even enjoying sports outside in the sun. As believers, our sustainment is always found in being tethered fast to Jesus. I think of Mary, the sister of Lazarus, pouring out all of her wealth on the feet of Jesus and washing his feet with her hair. There is also the woman at the well in John 4, who realized there was nothing in her that deserved the love of Christ.

We must continually abide in Christ. He is our lifeline of righteousness and sanctification before the Father. As God's children, we are powerless apart from our association with Him. He is the creator and sustainer of the universe, but also the daily sustainer strengthening our lungs to breath. In John 15:11, Jesus says that He has spoken these things "that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full." Christ's purpose for our life does not necessarily entail a fancy house and healthy family. It is summarized in His desire for us to be holy, and to find our total joy in Himself, because that is the eternal promise we have--perfect, sinless fellowship with a holy, righteous God.

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."
John 15:4-5

And thus, God the Son glorified God the Father, may our lives exist to glorify Christ Jesus. May the way I spend my time, my money, and my energy always be driven by an eternal purpose. Our Lord lived a life of sacrifice in this world. He lived for the sole purpose of dying.

"Whoever loves his life loses it, and whoever hates his life in this world keeps it for eternal life."
John 12:25

In Christ alone.
John

No comments:

Post a Comment